Self-Serve Farm Stands

Hello!
We’re about to open a self-serve farm stand at our farm gate on a busy county road. We’re a bit nervous about the self-serve option, though, when it comes to cash and the honour system. Does anybody have any lessons - positive and negative - they might share?

Lock it up tight, and make sure it’s not tied to anything light or small enough to take away because no doubt some idiot in a pickup truck will steal your hard earned money in no time flat.

Aside from that, people tend to respect the honour system.

Also, shade! Make sure you shade your products from the sun.

I’ve had a farm stand on a very busy road in the past without problems. I just use a coffee can - so anyone can get into it. BUT - I empty it a couple of times a day, and I don’t leave it up after 7:00 pm or so.

Interesting - I’ve had produce taken, but never money :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a farm stand on a busy road and have had no real problems. I have a metal locking toolbox screwed to my farmstand. I empty the box multiple times a day, and take inventory nightly. I have found that occasionally I will be missing a jar of marinara sauce or salsa, but never cash or produce. And inevitably a day or two later I find more money in the box that can be accounted for, always the value of the jar that went missing. I do have a lot of vacationers visit my area, and inevitably I will be summoned from the from the field by the blaring car horns of a visitor who just can’t get over the fact that I have an honesty box, and feel the need to pay me in person. Of course I don’t mind, it gives me chance to speak to them and to tell them of my belief and trust in people.

1 Like