Poll: Recommendations for work gloves

Hi, all.

I was wanting to know what people recommended for work gloves on the farm. I know that I am particularly hard on my clothing, but thus far, I go through about 2-3 pairs of gloves a season. My last pair, Milwaukee demolition gloves, I demolished within a few months.

Any recommendations on gloves that are a little more robust? Is it normal to go through several pairs a season?

Thx!

Rodney

I think a couple of months is actually pretty good! I generally treat gloves as disposable, depending on the task.

For winter use I’ve recently discovered these:

Feed stores like Settlers Supplies also carry something similar and I’ve found them to be much warmer and more durable than leather gloves, and your fingers are more dexterous in them. I was wearing holes in lined leather gloves in one session with the log splitter whereas these lasted much longer.

I’ve pretty much given up on mechanic style gloves as I seem to blow through the fingers on them really quickly.

1 Like

Join the club! I used to go through a few pairs per year, which felt a little wasteful. But honestly, even if they didn’t disintegrate, I expect I would still end up throwing them out periodically because of the smell as they often get wet, plus dirt and whatever other things you’re touching. And if you get waterproof ones (which I did for specific uses), the lining on the inside would also end up making my hands stink (probably because they don’t breathe much and take forever to dry on the inside). So I think there isn’t really a magical solution to how disposable they are. I typically end up buying a 6-pack of heavy duty grip ones that are breathable and use them until they no longer serve their purpose. My winter ones however tend to last a lot longer.

1 Like

Thanks, @benhconstable and @dheraud. I kinda figured that would be the case. The nitrile dipped gloves from Princess Auto look interesting. I use some heavy duty Terra work gloves I got from Costco for the winter. Mind you, I don’t have that much going on in the winter, so they last longer (i.e. no animal care). I’ll go for the cheap multi packs in the spring/summer, then.

1 Like

Just a heads up, I used nitrile dipped gloves like those pictured one winter, and they were warm but NOT waterproof despite the claim on the label. I had barely used them & was pulling leeks (which had been dug up by the tractor) in november, and the snow soaked right through the nitrile fingers…very frustrating

1 Like