Ordering Seeds from the US

Hello! I’m starting to think about seed orders and wondering if anyone would be interested in ordering seeds from High Mowing and sharing shipping costs? Also would love any input about varieties from HM that you have had success with. Thanks!

I have ordered often from HM, though I find that they tend to make mistakes on your order, it’s hard to beat the prices and the sheer diversity of seeds you can get from one company. I wish we had a 100% Canadian equivalent.

In any case, I’m not ordering any this year since we are selling our farm, but I have a fair amount of seed left over from last year’s order from HM. I’ll try and post a list of what I have here as well as some notes about how well they performed. If you’d like any of the seeds I’ve got, I’ll be selling them all for dirt cheap.

We love high mowing and use them a lot. They have free shipping to Canada (over $200), a promotion they started when our dollar dropped to help retain customers here. We’ve never had mistakes with our orders… and they send out a handy summary sheet each year (if you need it) of seeds you ordered last year as a reminder. They’ve also followed up and called us for feedback and support! We try to get our orders in (or reserved) in January as they sometimes run out of stock. They’ll always have another variety available, but we do get attached to our varieties :wink:

We’re a bit far from you for shipping share, but Steve’s playing in variety-land these days if you want to ring and chat!

1 Like

I would also like to add a call out for shipping cost sharing with Johnny’s. As a home gardener I would like to do just one US order and I can only find seed for a couple more unusual Asian vegetables in the Johnny’s catalogue.

Just wanted to say that I’ve been ordering from High mowing for over 5 years and only once had a problem with a mixed up order. They fixed the problem quickly. I think they are a great company to work with and shipping free for orders over $200 as Heather mentioned.

One variety I love: Baby blue Hubbard squash from HM is the best Hubbard I have found: keeps months longer than non-Hubbards but small enough to be marketable (ever stand around a rainy or snowy October farmers’ market trying to sell a 20-pound squash?).

If you don’t get enough orders for free shipping, Hawthorn Seeds in Wellington County sells some HM seeds in addition to what they grow themselves.

Hi, I’d be interested in purchasing some seeds from Johnny’s. Let me know if you are putting in an order, and were you are, I’m near Kitchener.

Rob

I am ready to order. Are you?

Yes, here is what I want to order:

Salanova® Red Oakleaf
Pelleted Lettuce Seed*
ID:
3059JP.53
Size:
1,000 Seeds

Salanova® Green Sweet Crisp
Pelleted Lettuce Seed
ID:
3054JP.53
Size:
1,000 Seeds times 2 ie 2000 seeds total

And

Xtra-Tender 277A
(F1) Corn Seed
ID:
Size:
1,000 Seeds

Thanks.

I’d be happy to place the order too, if you want to let me know what you want.

Hi Rob

Please email me at karenefao@gmail.com and we can finalize this off forum.

Thanks.

Karen

Hi Rob

I haven’t heard from you yet. Please get back to me at karenefao@gmail.com before I place my order on Friday if you want to do a combined order.

Thanks.