Introduce yourself!

Welcome to the community Eric and Marg!

Thank you :grinning:!

Hello & welcome! How interesting that youā€™re designing & building tools that suit your scale & methods. Do you have any photos or videos of any of these in action? Would love to see what youā€™ve come up with! We love farmer innovation around here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, I would be happy to respond, but I only respond to real names that implies people whose identification is known. Please resend your request with your real name and affiliations. Thank you very much. Eric

Hi Eric,

as you will see from the icon next to my name, Iā€™m an EFAO Staff member (Martina here). I prefer not to use my full name online when possible. Do whatever youā€™re comfortable with in light of this information :slight_smile:

Hi everyone! Jun Xiao here, was born in a country side of China, and always had a few chickens in backyard, remembered the joy of picking fresh eggs, the self processed chicken, the taste and freshness canā€™t buy from supermarket today.

Moved to Toronto 29 years ago, and stuck there with a wife 2 kids and a inlaw. In the concrete jungle. The talks of backyard chickens 5 years back awakened the farmer in me. Expecialy fasinated by the idea of permaculture. Sepp Holzer, Geoff Lawtonā€¦ā€¦

I convinced my wife and moved to a 6 ace cottage/farm by Lindsay, and things was not as easy as I saw in youtube. I got in trouble with neighbours, law inforcement, spcaā€¦ a very brutal dream crashing.

I am not ready to give up, thats why am I here, I want to find support and learn from local farmers, life is short, hopefully by then end of it I can learn how to provide my family and teach our kids.

1 Like

Hello!
Newbie member to EFAO and student to farming in general.
Does anyone know a good source for used silage tarps in order to try and tame some land that has been unworked for many years?
Hoping to cover it this fall and grow something next spring.
Adriana

Welcome Adriana!

Typically, I would go around local cattle/cash crop farms as they sometimes have old ones lying around. How much surface area are you hoping to cover?

Thanks Denis!
The area is about 20ā€™ x 80ā€™.
I will try to connect with some local farmers.
Adriana

Hi everyone!
My nameā€™s Tamara and Iā€™ve been working on farms in BC and the NWT for a few years - mostly veggie farms, with some mixed livestock. I grew up in Ottawa and am moving back to Ontario this winter, location TBD depending on where I find a farm job. (If youā€™re in the Ottawa or London area or anywhere more north & are hiring, holler!)

Looking forward to being a part of this forum and the EFAO.

Welcome to the EFAO Tamara!

We will likely be hiring in the coming Spring if youā€™d like to throw your hat in the ring.

www.urbanrootslondon.ca

Maybe send me your resume ahead of time?

denis@urbanrootslondon.ca

Hi, folks. Itā€™s been a while. Last year was busy and shitty. I didnā€™t get around to transferring my membership over to the new system and I didnā€™t have a chance to post or reply regularly to the new forum. Got that all figured out, thanks to Martina at the EFAO office. Good to be back! Looking forward to chatting with people again.

1 Like

Great to have you back @beyondorganic !

Hi, Iā€™m Sam Sheehan at Stitch and Steel Homestead, we have a 6.4 acre farm in Kawartha Lakes with a couple horses, goats, a lamb, chickens for eggs and meat and meat rabbits that we raise in a colony. We also have a young mixed permaculture orchard that weā€™re working to expand each year. We practice rotational grazing and are looking to improve our infrastructure- upgrading fencing and planting shelter belts between our grazing paddocks as well as running water lines out. We have lots of BIG ideas but are limited by finances, and trying to grow slowly and bootstrap our growth debt free. Iā€™m also working on building a YouTube channel to share our knowledge (but I really have no idea what Iā€™m doing :joy:)

1 Like

Welcome! Thanks for introducing yourself! Iā€™m sure you will find plenty of like-minded people around here!

Hi All,
This seems like a lovely Community!

About 3 years ago I left my job in health care because of my concerns about the climate crises. Since then Iā€™ve been volunteering with Little Forests Kingston stewarding a few tiny forests and reading about regenerative agriculture, permaculture and similar topics. I hope to take a water class this spring and pass the Master Gardener test in February. In short, I have the passion of the newly converted with a newbieā€™s knowledge basešŸ˜

I joined EFAO with the hope of connecting with more knowledgeable and similarly inclined people.

With appreciation,

Josh Cowan