Introduce yourself!

Hi,this Randy and Sherri Miller,Jarvis,Ont.Our boys raise meet goats and have two freezer beef steers on pasture.They also buy used farm equip repair it and resell,small disc,plows,cult,etc.

1 Like

Hello everyone! My name is Isabelle and my husband (Ryan Spence) and I farm vegetables full-time in Northeastern Ontario (near North Bay) and have been since 2011. We cultivate 4 to 5 acres every year and use some season extension equipment (mainly high tunnels) to produce into the late fall/early winter. We are currently in transition with Eco Cert (to be fully certified in 2018).

2 Likes

One question I do have is how to obtain services. We can do much of the day to day work but I need help that I would pay for. For instance we donā€™t yet know how to bale hay. I think it would be useful. Thank you.

Hi @loewen12! You should probably post your question in the Classifieds section, and I would also suggest posting more details such as your location, acreage and specific services you need.

Welcome to the forum!

Greetings All,
I am Paul Betz with High Mowing Seeds. I work with commercial growers in in the US and Canada. I ran my own market garden operation for 17 seasons on 2.5 acres, serving a CSA and farmers market. I still produce seedlings for sale in the spring, but have retired from growing vegetables commercially to focus on the work here at HMS.

2 Likes

hi, I am Cathy and farm with Keith in the beaver valley, organically but not certified. We have cattle, pigs and chickens and it is really all about a lifestyle choice. At the moment we have about 4 tons of barley that was grown organically but not cleaned we would love to sell it.

@cathytmiller53 You might want to post your barley in the ā€œFor saleā€ category. :slight_smile:

Hi Iā€™m Laura from High Spirits Farm Pontypool, Ontario.
Weā€™ve been ā€˜hobbyā€™ farming since 2004 here on our little farm, and last year I made the big leap and started a small CSA. Last year was tough for the drought, this year too much rain,likeā€¦epicā€¦ omg what was I THINKING??? LOL
Learning a bunch, and found superb support through the EFAO and my fellow small farmers to keep on truckingā€¦building resilience into our farm is a big oneā€¦

So year two farming for real nowā€¦and loving it!! Small fruit and vegetable CSA with a great potential for growth, a diversified orchard with over 22 types of fruit planted, heritage chickens and now Partridge Chantecler chickens in addition to our banties, and of course our four horses two of which are heritage Canadiansā€¦
Striving towards a complete farm ecological system model, regenerating the soil, and creating abundance on a very marginal piece of land. It is a slow process, but Iā€™m in it for the long haul!!

1 Like

Hey everyoneā€¦first post :slight_smile:
Iā€™m Jeremy from Beetbox Co-operative Farm in Ottawa. Been working on organic veg farms for 4 years. Myself and 3 others are now starting our own farm on a 110 acre National Capital Commission property. Focus will be a veg CSA but we will also produce veg seed and pastured beef. Looking forward to using this forum

Welcome! Good luck to you and the team!

Hello my name is Joseph, long time listener first time caller. My wife bought 80 Acres on the Grand River. We are now looking at doing small scale organic farming.

Please follow us here:

https://www.facebook.com/walnutvalefarm/

Our farm is going to be comprised of 3 Groups.

• The Good Garlic Company
  • AVRO Farms - Organic Vegtables
  • Sam The Apple Man - Apple Orchard (I am starting this up as a memorial to my grandfather Sam an Apple farmer)

We are looking to doing - Farm to table events and try to feature local chefs and farmers.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

Isnā€™t this forum a wonderful idea?! We are Sabile and Kevin Trimm of Yeoman Beef Farm. We have been farming in Alfred (in between Ottawa and Montreal, 1 hr each way) for four years. This was originally a conventional cash crop farm but we have converted the fields to organic hay and hope to sell grass-fed beef and lamb once the barn is renovated. Other than that, Iā€™m a bit of a self-sufficiency nut (maybe more than a bit).

Youā€™re making me want to create a self-sufficiency section on the forum! :wink:

Welcome! Great to have you aboard @sabiletrimm!

Hello! My name is Daniel Fuller. My wife and I are gearing up for our first growing season on a small plot outside Guelph. Our farm is called Healing Hands Farm. At the moment weā€™re getting garlic in and doing some renovations on the little quansit hut weā€™re wintering in.

Hope to get to know you all and hopefully be of some help.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @danielkfuller!

Hi this is Rand from Jarvis,ont.We raise Boer goats, beef cattle and fix and repair small farm equip.As well as buy and sell hay equipment.

Hi everyone,

My name is Andrew and I operate Sungold Organics with my partner, Paige, on about a quarter acre of rented land west of London. 2018 will be our second season growing on this property. We grow a range of vegetables and herbs (lots of greens and tomatoes), selling at a weekly farmersā€™ market and supplying restaurants and retailers in London. We see intensive, small-scale vegetable production as a gateway into farming (we are both first generation), with the hopes of expanding our business and eventually purchasing a small acreage we can call home. Thank you EFAO for facilitating this community!

Hi @andrew.e.meehan and Paige!

Welcome to the forum, and to the London community! I ran a CSA just outside London so if you ever need anything, let me know if I can be of any help!

Hi everyone! Iā€™m Sarah, I run Mount Wolfe Farm with my aunts here just north of Bolton. This will be my 6th growing season and our 3rd season running our farm. We grow summer/winter veggies for our year-round CSA. We also raise free-range meat chickens and go to the Bolton Farmerā€™s market. I attend the EFAO conferences and a few workshops when I can:) I love the EFAO community because I feel connected to other ecological growers while living in an area thatā€™s predominantly residential/conventional ag.

1 Like

Hello, we have joined EFAO about a year ago and just saw this thread. This is a great forum for Q&A. We are Eric and Margret Jelinski on 50 acres in Clearview twp just east of Stayner.
Marg looks after the flowers department focusing on hostas and daylilies.
I look after the veggies department and I am also the designated shovel operatorā€¦ha ha
We have been doing market gardening for 5 years now and have gradually increased the acres up to 15 acres. We grow fingerling potatoes, carrots, beets, brascias, squash, cucā€™s, onions and garlic.
I am experimenting with inter-row cropping rye and/or legumes for weed suppression and soil improvement. To this end, I design and build my own specialized machines and tools to make planting and harvesting more feasible for one person to do larger acres. If people want custom stuff built, I have a shop for winter projects.
Eric
Marric Gardens
see our facebook page listed as flowers and veggies

https://www.facebook.com/marric.gardens
http://s569.photobucket.com/user/marg_2009/library/?view=recent&page=1
11450 Simcoe County Road 10
RR1 Stayner Ontario
L0M1S0
Open Thurs, Friday, Saturday, Sunday or by appointment.
eric_jelinski@sympatico.ca
or marric.acres@sympatico.ca

1 Like