Fruit/nut growers: Do you want to know more about comfrey?

Hi all,

If you are interested in comfrey as a companion plant, please join in on this conversation!

A group of us have planted comfrey and are recording our observations to see what benefits it may have for growing fruit and nut trees/vines/shrubs. There are already a handful of studies demonstrating benefits in other climates (which are referenced in our research proposal) so the goal is mainly to see what benefits can be observed on farms in different parts of Ontario.

We want to know if you have tried planting comfrey as a companion plant? If so, what was your set up and what benefits did you observe in your fruit/nut trees?

We are expecting some of the benefits to be longer term, so for those who have had comfrey a long time, how long did it take to notice a difference? One hypothesis is that the difference might be measurable after three years through a foliar test (leaf tissue) showing higher levels of potassium uptake in fruiting plants next to comfrey.

If you’d like to join in and plant some comfrey, or add in your existing comfrey observations, please let us know here.

This is part of the EFAO farmer-led research program, which provides an honorarium, and covers eligible costs including for the farmer-research symposium.
https://efao.ca/farmer-led-research/

Thanks
Arthur

Hi Arthur - I would be interested in learning more - I could only make one session last week (Greg Judy) - but we are in the final planning stages for putting a small orchard in on our farm (primarily apples, but a mix of trees and berry shrubs) in Northern Ontario - I have long had interest in incorporating comfrey on the farm, and until now didn’t realize it’s application/benefits within an orchard. Any further info would be appreciated - farm@kiplingridge.ca Thanks! James

Hi Arthur,

Thanks for getting the convo started on the Forum! This is one method of communication and networking that we will be promoting for farmer-led research this year, so it is great to see the head start! (I am seeing if Denis can move the FLR threads to their own category, with subcategories for different research priorities).

Great to see you last week!
Sarah

Hi James,

You can check out results from Pat Kozowyk’s 2017 season in the Research Library, and I will email you a copy of Pat, Arthur and Ivan’s Research Poster from 2018 (it will be posted as a report in January). Let us know what questions you have after looking those over.

Cheers,
Sarah

1 Like