Compost or aged manure prices

Hi folks,

I was wondering what folks are paying for compost or aged manure. We have a cattle farmer that is willing to sell some aged manure. Yay!  He wants me to tell him what it's worth.

Currently, I pay 75$/yard (plus trucking) for a fairly well-finished fish compost.

Where do you get that compost from @ThreeForksFarms ?

And, off topic, how difficult is it to find/connect with your clientele up there on Manitoulin?

Hi Denis,

We get fish compost from Meekers Aquaculture. It’s a certified organic rainbow trout farm that is just 15 minutes away. They use all the fish waste from their farm and some from Purvis Fisheries and mix it with sawdust from local sawmills to make the compost.

Manitoulin so far seems like a great place to connect with customers. The island has a fairly large population of retired people that are craving what we have to offer. In the summer months the population of the island explodes with tourist that are hungry for things to do and food to eat. That being said, we still drive to Sudbury, to do a delivery run and do a farmers market once a week.

1 Like

Last year I put Schlegel Composted Turkey Litter (TLC) down over 40 acres. It worked well, was a little damp for spreading. 2021 prices are $104.5/ tonne incl. deliv to my address, $92/ tonne before delivery. The product comes with an guaranteed analysis (which is partly reflected in the higher price, that and the composting) and is 1-2-1. I think they work in some spent muchroom substrate too for organic matter.
I believe low end for uncomposted ‘aged’ manure is about $25/tonne and up, but there is no analysis. Who knows what has leached out in that time. If its only been sitting a little while you might be ok.

1 Like