Agricultural Grade Vinegar

Just wondering where people buy agriculture grade vinegar in bulk, ie, drum or tote. Please indicate if you could the name and place where you can buy it. thanks.

If using for weed control, usually sold under “horticultural” vingear. Most horticultural farm suppliers should be able to source it in bulk or by the tote.

http://www.plantproducts.com/ca/viewproduct.php?pid=540

http://www.bartlett.ca/Bartlett/nmb/Product.nsf/0e42bd19906a3c4a852569ec004bdc94/cc1e40eb84976b53852577510050ef67?OpenDocument

Weed control? I just learned of something new! How would you use horticultural vinegar for weed control?

From the Mungers Label;

DIRECTIONS FOR USE
Best results are achieved from spring and early summer applications to actively growing young
weeds. Degree of control depends on several factors, including size and stage at application.
Apply on a mostly sunny day with temperatures at or above 21° C (70° F). Small annual weeds
may be completely controlled with a single application. Control of larger, more established
weeds, not completely desiccated with one application may be short-term and require retreatment.
Weeds that are mature, dormant or hardened due to moisture stress tend to be more tolerant to
herbicide treatment. Complete coverage of undesirable vegetation is necessary to achieve control.
Only contacted vegetation will be affected. Seedling perennial weeds may be controlled with a
single application; however, repeat application is required for control of regrowth of established
perennial weeds. Rainfall within 1 hour of application will reduce degree of control. DO NOT reenter
or allow entry into the treated areas until the residues have dried. As this product is not
registered for the control of pests in aquatic systems, DO NOT use to control aquatic pests.
FOR EARLY SEASON ANNUAL WEED CONTROL, when weeds are small (3-5 leaf) and
actively growing; mix a spray solution consisting of 1 L of product for each 3 L of water. Ensure
adequate mixing. Spray unwanted vegetation to the point of wetness.
SPOT TREATMENT APPLICATION: Use a single nozzle or hand-gun applicator to direct the
spray and thoroughly wet undesirable foliage.
FOR CONTROL OF LARGER ANNUAL WEEDS AND TOP GROWTH REDUCTION
(SUPPRESSION) OF PERENNIAL WEED GROWTH. Mix a spray solution consisting of 1 L of
product for each 2.25 L of water. Use an application system, solution volume and adequate spray
pressure to ensure complete coverage of unwanted vegetation. Best results with larger weeds will
be achieved by spot treatment. Retreatment is required for regrowth of perennial weeds .
FOR CONTROL OF SEEDLING CANADA FLEABANE, LARGER, ESTABLISHED
ANNUAL WEEDS AND TOP GROWTH REDUCTION (SUPPRESSION) OF ESTABLISHED
PERENNIAL WEEDS: Use full strength (undiluted) with adequate spray pressure to ensure
complete coverage of unwanted vegetation. Best results with larger weeds will be achieved by
spot treatment. Retreatment is required for regrowth of perennial weeds.
FOR CONTROL OF WEEDS IN GREENHOUSES: To control weeds in non-crop areas of the
greenhouse such as under planting benches, in walkways, and in beds after harvest, prepare a
spray solution consisting of 1 L of product for each 3 L of water. Ensure adequate mixing. Spray
weeds to the point of wetness using a medium droplet size to minimize drift. Complete coverage
of the weeds is necessary to achieve control. Best results will be achieved if the weeds are
actively growing. Avoid contact of the spray solution onto desirable vegetation.
DO NOT allow effluent or runoff from greenhouses containing this product to enter lakes,
streams, ponds or other waters.

2 Likes

Thank you very much, Eric

If you’re more of a visual person, this guy does some testing of different solutions of vinegar:

It’s pretty impressive, although I suspect the efficiency would be greater on young weed seedlings (1-2 leaves) so you wouldn’t have to use so much of it and to prevent the weeds from bouncing back.

I’d be curious to see some research on potential impacts of its use on above and below-ground biodiversity. Maybe an interesting project for the FLRP next year? @sarahkhargreaves

Also, even though the Plant Products page says “May be allowed in organic production”, acetic acid (vinegar) is indeed allowed for weed control as long as its not from a synthetic source.

From the permitted substances list:

“Non-synthetic sources. As an adjuvant, a pH regulator and for weed control.”

http://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2018/ongc-cgsb/P29-32-311-2018-eng.pdf

1 Like

What is the long term impacts on soil from repeated use of full strength industrial vinegar, do you know?

I would like to use it on Dog Strangling Vine and its hard to kill so I’ll need to spray multiple times on established plants with perennial root system.

I purchase mine through Bioag.

https://www.bio-ag.com

While I have quite abit of experience controlling weeds, using hort. vinegar and dog strangling vine isn’t one of them. As you had mentioned, since the vinegar will be predominately burning off the top growth, and it has extensive root system, you will need to make multiple applications. You may have more success with a product like glyphosate that will translocate to the roots (if you are able to use it).

As far as impact on the soil, it will depending on soil type and existing soil pH. You can expect the soil to become more acid.

I am new to this forum and felt perhaps a heart as response was a bit too personal since we have never met. Sadly, the system informed me a mere “thank you” would not post. So THANK YOU for your comment! The number of words now will hopefully suffice. Ha Ha.